Spotlight on Tuscany
October 24, 2023 – November 1, 2023
Included in Price: Round Trip Air from Nashville Airport, All Taxes, Fees/Surcharges, Hotels, 16 meals, Guided Tours, All Transportation including to and from hotels.
Per Person Rates: $3.999 Double, $4,499 Single, $3,969 Triple
Day 1- Overnight Flight-USA to Tuscany
Rolling landscapes, savory wines, delicious food and stunning architecture – find all of this and more in Tuscany. Unpack once on this journey
Day 2 Montecatini Terme Tour Begins
Your tour opens in the famous spa resort town of Montecatini Terme, nestled in the heart of the rolling hills of Tuscany. This evening, get to know your fellow travelers during a welcome dinner where regional foods and Italian wines kick off your adventure.
Day 3– Lucca—Borgo a Mozzano—Gothic Line
Enjoy a guided tour of Lucca, Tuscany’s best-kept secret. Discover Renaissance walls, Romanesque churches, and medieval streets flanked by towers. Explore on your own before setting off for Borgo a Mozzano. See the Ponte del Diavolo (Devil’s Bridge) and the nearby remains of the Gothic Line – the Germans’ last defense during WWII. Visit the Museum of Liberation and see authentic fortifications and bunkers. Make your way to a Tuscan winery and learn about the art of winemaking as you taste local varieties.
Day 4– Florence
A cultural tour in Florence showcases the beautiful “Cradle of the Renaissance.” Start with a visit to the Academy Gallery* to see Michelangelo’s sculpture of David. Join a local Florentine guide on foot and make your way through the city. At the Piazza del Duomo, see the impressive Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore and the gilded bronze doors of the Baptistery dedicated to St. John. Take the remainder of your time in Florence to explore this unparalleled city as you choose.
Day 5– Montecatini Terme
Today, it’s your choice! Learn more about Montecatini’s history during a guided walking tour and visit to the historic Tettuccio Spa,** known for the health benefits in its mineral waters -OR- journey to Siena and embark on a walking tour through its narrow Gothic streets, getting to know the local lifestyle in a contrada (neighborhood) whose community is centered around the colorful Palio horse race.
Day 6– Pisa
Explore historic sites in the ancient maritime Republic of Pisa, including the Piazza dei Miracoli, or “Field of Miracles” (UNESCO). Keep your camera handy at the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa. Visit the Baptistery, the largest in Italy. This evening, travel to the quiet countryside to learn the secrets of traditional Tuscan cuisine. Partake in a cooking class, using local ingredients and culinary techniques that have been passed down for generations. Enjoy your freshly-prepared meal for dinner.
Day 7– Montecatini Terme
The day is yours to relax and experience the local flavor. Take this opportunity to shop at the local boutiques and dine at one of the many fine local restaurants. Or, perhaps you will choose an optional excursion to Cinque Terre with its rugged coastline dotted with terraced vineyards; explore this string of fishing villages nestled between the mountains and the Mediterranean.
Day 8 Cheese Farm Visit– San Gimignano
At a nearby cheese farm, learn how the famous pecorino cheese is made before sampling it for yourself. Soak in breathtaking views as you travel to the hilltop village of San Gimignano, one of Tuscany’s most picturesque places. Explore this enchanting medieval town, from its famous 14 towers to its magnificent vistas overlooking vineyards. Enjoy free time and perhaps indulge in some gelato. Later, attend a Tuscan feast of traditional cuisine and wines set in the countryside.
Day 9– Montecatini Terme Tour Ends
Your journey comes to a close today. Depart with many fond memories of Tuscany.
Pre Tour: 3-Night Rome Extension
You are on your way to the eternal city of Rome.
Get settled into Rome for your 3-night stay. Take time to get acquainted with the area on your own. This evening, join your fellow travelers for a special welcome dinner featuring regional delicacies.
Start your morning with a ride on La Metro – Rome’s underground system. First stop – a locally guided tour of Classical Rome. During an in-depth visit to the Colosseum, your guide recounts its rich history. Then wander along the Roman Forum and the Via Sacra, traversed by the likes of Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony. The remainder of the day is yours. Perhaps you will join an optional dinner in a popular restaurant, where you’ll indulge in a hearty meal accompanied by wine and local entertainment.
Make the most of a free day in Italy’s capital city. Perhaps you will join an optional tour* in the morning to the Vatican Museums and St. Peter’s Basilica, taking in world-renowned wonders such as the Sistine Chapel and Michelangelo’s mural of the Last Judgment. In the afternoon, consider strolling through the Borghese Gardens for views of the city’s skyline or meander through Rome’s bohemian Trastevere district.
Your Roman sojourn comes to a close today. Say Arrivederci Roma as you transfer to Montecatini Terme to begin your tour of Tuscany.
- Single accommodations are limited and are available on a first come, first served basis.
- We reserve the right to cancel this extension if a minimum of 4 passengers is not met to operate.
- *The optional tour to the Vatican Museums may operate on a different day on select departures due to availability of reservations and closure on Sundays and holidays.
- The space on this extension is limited and will be available on a first come, first served basis. Applicable charges may apply at time of request.
- The overall activity level of this extension is a level 3. This means walking and standing for longer periods of time (1-2 hours) isn’t a big deal for you. You can navigate hills and uneven ground, climb into various modes of transportation (tuk-tuk, cable car, Zodiac, etc.), and could possibly anticipate changes in elevation. You can expect some longer days balanced with free-time to recharge or set out on your own adventure. During your included city tour of Classical Rome, you will use the underground transportation system where seating cannot be guaranteed so you should be able to stand in a moving carriage where handrails are available for support. You must be able to climb a flight of stairs to enter the subway station.
- During this extension, you can expect to have a hosted experience or two, with a local representative revealing more of what this destination has to offer. Enjoy a mix of independent exploration and guided sightseeing and experiences.